The UCSB Shoreliners, a campus support and social group, has its roots in The Faculty Women's Club of UCSB. In 2014, the club's name was changed, and the bylaws revamped to include all UCSB faculty, staff and administrators. The purpose of the group remained the same.
What follows is an edited early history with some text adapted from Faculty Women's Club, Fifty Years 1941 - 1991, published in 1991.
The Faculty Women's Club of UCSB got its start in May, 1941 as the Santa Barbara State College Faculty Wives. The 56 charter members of the Santa Barbara State College Faculty Wives, wives of members of the Santa Barbara State College Men, met monthly, mostly in members' homes, and charged themselves dues of $1 per year. Although the goal of their club was "strictly social group meetings," their first year "included a Sunday night supper in the quadrangle of the Riviera campus to welcome summer faculty," a forerunner to the welcoming teas of the '60s and '70s and the fall luncheon of today; "a tea at the El Encanto Hotel for the State Registrars' Convention," the start of gently injecting their voice into college and university affairs; and "at Christmas, the bringing of non-perishable food to be given to needy students," laying the foundations for FWC charitable works and student assistance.
Within the first decade, Santa Barbara State College Faculty Wives made its first donation for student financial aid, took on many activities that could be labeled "volunteer war service," added monthly meeting topics and speakers that covered international issues, women's art and literature contributions world-wide, and women's health issues. However, in a 1948 newspaper article titled "New Constitution Adopted By Faculty Wives Club," less than one short sentence was devoted to the new constitution and no words spoke to the purpose of the club.
Activities in the Early Days
In 1944, the Santa Barbara State College became Santa Barbara College of the University of California, as voted on by the UC Regents.
The year 1949 - 1950 saw the beginning of the Sections Program, now the Interest Groups, a very successful aspect of FWC, which, although changed and adapted to interests of the times, remains as popular today as it was when it was started.
The club dipped its toe into political waters when the membership "unanimously passed a resolution endorsing 'the Cachuma Water Project." The long-running and very rewarding relationship with The Faculty Club at UCSB got its start at this time as well when the Faculty Wives Club president began working with the Faculty Club Board to plan the Faculty Club on what was to become the new campus.
The 1950's saw significant changes in the College at Santa Barbara, and the ten-year old Faculty Wives Club changed along with it. Their foundation had been laid, but goals and activities changed to better reflect the role of women in society. The campus moved in 1954 from its dual locations, Riviera and mesa, consolidating to one location on the old Marine Base near the slough in Goleta, a 408 acre site sold to the Regents for $10. In 1958 the College became a general campus of the University of California and its name changed to the University of California at Santa Barbara. The name of the Faculty Wives Club also changed - it became the Faculty Women's Club, "...a more inclusive and appropriate direction for both membership and purpose. From a primarily social group comprised almost exclusively of married and widowed women, the Club became a more purposeful organization identified with the goals and personnel of our University, including in its membership women faculty members and administrators."
Fund-raising efforts of the FWC took a bold, new direction at this time. Along with major contributions to the renovation of the former Marine Officers' Club for a campus Faculty Club, FWC initiated a Scholarship Fund and put the position of Scholarship Chair on the FWC Board. The Permanent Scholarship Fund and now the Broida-Hirschfelder Graduate Fellowship in the Sciences occupy a major portion of our fund-raising and charitable efforts.
Following the rapid growth of the University and FWC of the '50s and '60s, a pattern of activity for the Club had been set - a Fall Tea (or sometimes a brunch) welcoming new members, fund-raising events to support the charitable programs and scholarships, social events, the Spring Salad luncheon where scholarship recipients are introduced, and the ever-popular Sections. "Over the years Sections have ranged in scope from Sewing to Tennis, from Armchair Travel to Ballroom and Square Dancing. Some of the most popular Sections seem to have been those having to do with food. . ." The selection of pictures below illustrates a variety of FWC activities from the later part of the 20th century.
(Most photos courtesy FWC Scrapbooks in Special Collections of the UCSB Library. More recent photos can be found in our Gallery.)